Friday, May 20, 2011

Mid-April 2011 Garden











Here are a couple of pictures of the start of my 2011 spring garden. Everything seems to be growing fine. We have 13 tomato plants (cherry, Porterhouse, Better Boy, and a variety of heirloom), 16 chili plants (Hatch, Big Jim, AZ88, serrano, and jalapeno), Swiss Chard, radish, Texas Supersweet onions, bush cucumbers, vining cucumbers, squash, and I gave one of my boxes to my daughter-in-law (who lives over the back fence) to grow some plants that I don't have in my boxes. I'm going to add more boxes my the end of the summer. I think I'll make a couple of 8x4 boxes to handle plants that need room to spread out. I tried an experiment last summer and grew some of the Supersweet onions in a box and some in an area near the garden that had pretty good soil....no comparison....the best onions were from the box. I love SFGing. I took a trick that my neighbor used many years ago....I cut the bottom and part of the top out of a plastic milk jug and placed them over my young tomato plants. I place a broken golf club shaft through the handle and into the ground to keep them in place. With the constant hard winds we have had this spring I think that trick has saved my plants. (double click on photo to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment