Monday, March 15, 2010

My New Compost Bin...


This is the new compost bin I built. I first tried to build on barrel type tumbler that I saw on YouTube. It didn't work very well in that only a small amount of material could be put into the tumbler. I then visited Don Richins' home and saw the bin he had just made. It inspired me to make one of my own. So...THANKS SO MUCH DON FOR ALL YOUR HELP! I'm very happy with the way mine turned out. As you can see we have started a good amount of material already. I have the school cafeteria saving vegetable scraps for me, a friend is giving me the straw/chicken manure mixture from his chicken coop, Mary is saving our kitchen scraps, and I have an endless supple of straw bales from another friend. I look forward to putting some of the rich compost I know will come from this bin in my Square Foot Garden. Thanks again Don. (double click on pictures to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment